Working in White on the Greek Island of Paros
June 7-12, 2015
Join Sonia for an intensive five-day mosaic workshop on the sun-drenched island of Paros in Greece. Paros is famous for the beautiful white marble that the ancient Greeks carved into statues like the Venus de Milo. We’ll take our inspiration from this amazing material and work all in whites, tone on tone. This will be a rare opportunity to enhance your mosaic skills in an inspiring and stimulating environment.
Creating mosaic in a monochrome palette emphasizes the focus on cutting, laying style, reflectivity, scale and texture. Limiting possible decisions to the primary principles of mosaic offers learning opportunities that color can mask. Technically, there will be extensive inquiry into cutting techniques, methods of laying and broadening your skill set. The class specifically covers working with texture, scale, andamento and spacing; achieving effects through varied cutting and laying styles and/or mixed materials, working direct. There will be discussions about design, the complexity of working with more than one material, reflectivity and more. Most importantly, you’ll leave the workshop with an elevated sense of what mosaic is about, a new way of thinking about your work and the knowledge to enable you to push to the next level. Prior mosaic experience is recommended. Parian marble will be will be supplied. (A complete list of the supplied materials will be sent in advance so class participants can bring additional materials, or even additional colors. A hammer and hardie will be available to use.)
There will be an optional, one-day side trip by ferry to the island of Delos to see ancient mosaics, lunch and afternoon on Mykonos. Participants may choose to come or can remain in the studio working. The atmosphere will be relaxed and there will be ample time for swimming and sunning on the beach steps away from our hotel.
Get-acquainted dinner: evening of June 7, 2015
Class days: June 8 to June 12
Closing night party: June 12
The course fee includes:
• 6 nights in a lovely small hotel (your private room with en-suite bathroom includes breakfast and a glass of wine in the evening). Our studio is an easy ten-minute, waterfront walk from our hotel.
•Get-acquainted dinner on the evening before the workshop begins, June 7
• Individual instruction/coaching by Sonia, structured to meet each participant’s experience level and goals.
• Group discussions on the art of mosaic, cutting techniques, ergonomics, technical issues, the business of art, critical thinking and problem-solving strategies for design/implementation and more.
• Substrate, adhesive, Parian marble and the use of a hammer/hardie. Bring your own hand tools. Participants may also want to bring additional materials to work with, such as glass, unglazed ceramic, smalti, beads, found objects, etc. More info on recommended tools and materials will be supplied.
• Closing night dinner party
• Transportation: airfares, ferries, taxis, boats, etc. (info on logistics will be supplied)
• Meals (other than breakfast at the hotel and the get-acquainted and closing dinners)
• Optional day trip to visit the ancient mosaics on island of Delos with lunch & shopping opportunities on Mykonos
Space is limited so early registration is recommended.
Cost is $2,650 US. Ten participants are required for the class to be held.
A deposit of $650 is required on booking and the class fills on a first-come basis. Balance of the fee is due by February 1st, allowing ample time for buying air tickets at the best price. After February 1st, refunds will be given provided the opening is filled. (There is always a wait list so a refund is likely.) Refunds will be less any money transfer fees. Payment may be made by US $ checks, US $ wire transfer, Western Union or PayPal. (PayPal incurs a small percentage transaction fee)
Direct inquiries to Sonia.
Include contact info (name, address, phone, e-mail). As the workshop approaches, recommended tool information, details about materials and advice about logistics will be sent.